Thursday, June 3, 2010

Round and round and round and round and round and round and round etc...



The curtain rises
Spokane 2010
weather bad

Um....

2 teams
Emule and ItchyRich
DolarBill Martini Martin and Sten Hurtinem Hurtsens

Support staff
Magic Marta, Mulie, and Just Bob

So we are doing a 24hr race w/ 2 person teams, I've only done the 8 hrs of labor. I am wondering how this will go. Go easy I am thinking, but after the start every one is flying by so I just can't let them go by. After the first lap rich takes over. He asks me how it went, too fast I reply. After his lap I ask, "how did it go", "too fast", he replies. This is what we say to each other for the next few hours. After that we stop asking. It is funny that the one person you don't talk to for 24hrs is your team mate... We still have not compared notes.

The course is fast, smooth, rocky, technical, punchy climbs, swervy and sweet.

The start of race and the end of the race were great. The middle was terrible, but strangely addictive.

I think all the Mules had a great time, and it was nice that no one ever got stressed even with a few bumps in the trail. Sten broke a derailer, Rich hit some trees and went down hard, Bill cramped so hard he was screaming, and my shamwow cream (bag balm) failed me completely.

Bill and sten were off to great start and went into first place right off. Bill was Bill and Sten did a fantastic job of keeping up.

With the relative speed of the course I settled into a pattern. I would start a lap at what seemed like a good pace and waite for a faster smooth looking rider to pass. Then I would tuck in behind for the next 14 miles. After a few minutes I would begin to critique their pace, "that is perfect hold right there". About midway I would start to ask personal questions and they would beg me to pass. Towards the end we would get pretty freindly and they would start to open up a little.

After a few laps Rich and I were in 5th. This seemed ok since I did not know what to expect. Sometime during the dillerium of the night I was told we were in 2nd. Cool!

MagicMarta and Julie were godsends during the night.
"do you want a foot stool"
"coffee"
"food"
"bottle"
After every lap you could just sit, rest your bones, and get the VIP treatment.

The shit was hitting the fan about 3am with Rich reduced to a shivering mass on the ground, me frozen to the core and Bill and Sten confusing when to trade laps. It had started to rain on and off. Then the sun came up and it was game on, race number 2.

Towards the end the third place team was gaining on us. Rich was holding strong but I had began to slip. I only had on speed left (ughh). The 3rd place team kept getting closer and closer. At 11:59 Rich came through and yelled, "I feel great I going again", like a 6 year old. At 12:00 the finishing gun went off and the 3rd place rider came in about 30 seconds later. "Well Rich is racing himself now", I said to I. Bill and Sten finished 2 laps ahead of everyone else.

Well that is about it except riding and pumping through great twisty trails and being in the zone for 12 hours of riding.

After the race we stayed for the awards (red wine?).
Montana riders took the cake.
1 2 3 for the 2 person teams as well as Great divide (i think) Juinors taking first in the 4 rider class. They were some of riders i drafted (Ha).

Thanks to Bob @ tripple ring for keeping us supplied with hammer products and giving Bill such great support.

Thanks to Colin at the round house for fixing my 2 cut spokes, jacked bottom bracket and bum front bearings 2 days before the race.

And Also Jason at Miller Recreational for the 1,000$ we have used to get the Muletrain back on the road



It has begun.