Monday, September 5, 2011

So there I was…

So there I was, in the final gate of the Montana State BMX 2011 Championship and thoughts of the previous two races flash before me. The first race was flawless, I nailed the start and got the proverbial “hole-shot” and kept my lead all the way to finish first. The second race unfolded right before my very eyes. I nailed the gate on the second race too, only a split second too soon. Just when the light went I threw my hips into my grips and mashed the pedal with all of might, only to spin my back tire, almost go over the bars and the gate, and I slipped a pedal. The whole first straight-away, I was trying to get clipped back in and catch up to the other riders. They were way out of reach and I took third.

These results were exciting because it was anyone’s race coming in to the final race and it was far from over. The gate slammed down and out of fear of going over again, I hesitated just a split second before launching down the ramp. Both of my competitors had great starts and lead me down the first straight and in the first corner and double. We kept this tight formation into the second straight and into third straight and the rhythm section. I picked my line and began pumping through the rhythm section in hopes of giving the leader a high-low pass in the final corner and into the final straight to the finish line. This was a great idea, but I was carrying too much speed to drop out of the corner and when the leader caught on to my pass, he blocked the low path out of the bermed corner. I saw an opening on the high side and sprinted with all of my might out of the corner, over the final two doubles and sprint to the finish. I got him by a half a wheel length in the final sprint and won the Championship.

This was the most exciting race of the entire season for me, and to quote one of my competitors, “we have more fun than the kids.” I couldn’t agree more. As for the Mini-Mules, they both did great. The older Mini-Mule qualified in the third round and finished third in the main event. The younger Mini-Mule is more focused on crowd pleasing and grand-standing. Typically he gets his own song on the p.a. for his lap and loves standing up on his strider and pumping through the rhythm section, always a crowd favorite.

A special thanks to Mom for supporting us and thanks to all of our family and friends who came to support us at the track and to our sponsors for your continued support throughout the season and making it possible.